You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use same Apple ID for all phones in my family

Can I use same Apple ID for all my phones for family? I am asking because I purchased new phone for my husband and want to transfer his info to new phone… I have entered his phone number as requested .. but was afraid it would transfer my phone information instead of his… as long as I entered the right phone number it should be ok?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 11:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 11:30 AM

You should each have your own Apple ID. Sharing the same Apple ID does result in synced iCloud information going to all of the phones and leads to other issues as well. You can each have your own Apple ID and still share purchase and selected information if you want to. See: What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 28, 2021 11:30 AM in response to CBrackbill

You should each have your own Apple ID. Sharing the same Apple ID does result in synced iCloud information going to all of the phones and leads to other issues as well. You can each have your own Apple ID and still share purchase and selected information if you want to. See: What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support

Aug 28, 2021 11:35 AM in response to CBrackbill

Do not use the same Apple ID for everyone. Apple IDs should not be shared for any reason.

Each person should have their own Apple ID.

The phone number has no bearing on what data is transferred to the iPhone, the Apple ID controls this. His information should be tied to his own Apple ID. If you setup the new iPhone from your iPhone with Quick Start it will transfer your data not his.

If using the same Apple ID, you should setup the new iPhone from a backup of his old iPhone instead of using Quickstart with your own phone.

If this is his first iPhone, then set it up as new, create a new Apple ID for him and if he was using an Android phone, then use the Transfer from Android process to get his phone data onto the new iPhone. click here-> Move from Android to iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Can I use same Apple ID for all phones in my family

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.