You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inability to connect my iPhone SE to my MacBook Pro running Sierra

I'm running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 on my mid 2015 MacBook Pro. I don't want to update the OS because I have apps that won't work if I do. When I try to connect my iPhone SE (14.6) to my Mac, I get a notice that a software update is required to connect my iPhone. The App Store doesn't offer an iTunes update (I'm currently running 12.2.8.3). I have precious photos and videos on my iPhone that I am unable to back up to my Mac. And music on my Mac I want to put on my phone. Eventually I plan to buy a new Mac with up-to-date OS - but till then want to run my Mac on Sierra. Any (not too technical) help would be much appreciated. 

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 7:14 AM

5 replies

Sep 4, 2021 7:04 AM in response to PolkaDotz37

Hello PolkaDotz37,

Thanks for reaching out to us for support. It’s never fun when you’re unable to sync your iPhone SE to your MacBook Pro, and we are going to do everything we can to help you. When you have a chance, please give the steps in the article below a try.

Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer

We ask you to give the above steps a try because they can potentially resolve your issue. If you still find that you’re unable to sync your iPhone with your Mac, try the steps outlined in the following link; and if unsuccessful, reach back out to us with some specifics on what you’re seeing so that we can continue troubleshooting with you.

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Sep 4, 2021 10:06 PM in response to jdo_apple

Hello jdo_apple

Thanks for considering my issue. I tried those suggestions before (I've spent many many hours trying to solve this before asking Apple Community) but they do not help.

Your second link gives me the following advice if I am unable to update to the latest OS: Go to App Store and if any iTunes updates are available, click Install. There are no iTunes updates available.

When I plug my iPhone into my MacBook Pro, the message tells me I need a software update. I am afraid to go ahead and click Install in case it begins to update my OS to Monterey - which would disable a number of applications I rely on.

Can you please advise whether if I click Install for the (unspecified) software update, that will update iTunes only (not my OS), and that that update would enable me to then connect my iPhone SE running 14.6? (But I need to be 100% certain my Sierra will be left as is.)

Thank you for any advice you are able to give that helps me solve my problem.

Inability to connect my iPhone SE to my MacBook Pro running Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.