You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple expands tools to help businesses connect with customers. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permanently Modify Mac OS X Guest Account in OS X Catalina?

Hello everyone

We have iMac running OS X Catalina at the school where I teach. We uses the guest login for our students in order that the login is always clean, but we would like to permanently modify that guest login (dock, wallpaper, first runs etc). The guest account has been permanently modified on our old system running Majave, but the same method will not work in Catalina.

Any help how this can be done with OS X Catalina? Thanks in advance for help or links!

Yoko

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 2:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 8:12 AM

Beginning with macOS 10.15 Catalina the macOS system volume is now a separate read-only APFS volume so it is impossible to make modifications to those system files unless macOS provides links to the writable volume for a particular folder such as the "/etc" folder. Keep in mind that Apple is locking things down more & more with each new version of macOS so the situation will only get more difficult & complicated.

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 7, 2021 8:12 AM in response to yuching75

Beginning with macOS 10.15 Catalina the macOS system volume is now a separate read-only APFS volume so it is impossible to make modifications to those system files unless macOS provides links to the writable volume for a particular folder such as the "/etc" folder. Keep in mind that Apple is locking things down more & more with each new version of macOS so the situation will only get more difficult & complicated.

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

Sep 22, 2021 2:52 AM in response to a brody

Thank you very much information you provide, but this function may not be suitable for my school.

What we need is a function that combines general users and guest users.

Except for the feature that all files will be deleted when guest users log out or restart, everything else is the same as general users.

In the past, I set the desktop of the guest user and then switched to the administrator to lock it using the terminal, but now it seems that I can no longer do this.

Permanently Modify Mac OS X Guest Account in OS X Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.