You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are cellular updates not an option?

Why are cellular updates to system on iPhone not an option? My phone is my internet service.

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 10:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 2:46 PM

I am living in a temporary situation at the moment so my phone is my internet. I was concerned for security reasons about using public wifi. It is true that the android I had did not update as often as Apple and is the reason why I switched as security is much better. Thank you for your help!

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 8, 2021 2:46 PM in response to deggie

I am living in a temporary situation at the moment so my phone is my internet. I was concerned for security reasons about using public wifi. It is true that the android I had did not update as often as Apple and is the reason why I switched as security is much better. Thank you for your help!

Sep 8, 2021 2:33 PM in response to v131c

Since you can't what you want and since the cellular providers put the limitation on this (with the exception of the new iPhone 12 using unlimited 5G data), if you don't want to use Wifi (something most of us have wide access to), you can connect your iPhone to your computer and update your phone using iTunes.

See this link --> Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

Sep 8, 2021 2:33 PM in response to v131c

I was going to add that to my previous response, this has not been a problem for Android phones as updates and few and far between often leaving a large percentage of the user base unable to update as their hardware won't support it and they generally don't make a release announcement so you don't have everyone trying to update at one time.

So your options at this point would be:

1. Get a MiFi device from your cell service provider and connect to that to update.
  2. Go back to an Android phone.
  3. Wait until the iPhone 13 is released (event is September 14, 2021 at 10:00am PDT) and get one of those and a 5G plan and then update using cellular.

Sep 8, 2021 2:15 PM in response to v131c

v131c wrote:

In your reply: Ask your cellular carrier. Are you suggesting that my cellular carrier controls the option to get system updates on my phone?

Are you asking about updating your cellular or asking why you can't update the ios over cellular? IF the latter wifi is required to update over the air. If neither is the question then explain it better.

Sep 8, 2021 2:17 PM in response to v131c

No, what he is telling you is that when Apple originally released the iPhone cell service providers requested the OS downloads and Apps over 100MB not be allowed as when they were released they would tie up all the available bandwidth and people would complain about their service. Since that time Apple has increased the app size you can download but held to restricting iOS update downloads.

It is now allowed on 5G if you have a plan that supports it and you make one change to your settings. Same for iCloud backups. While Apple limits it on the device it was requested by cell service providers.

Why are cellular updates not an option?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.