You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect a late 2013 Macbook Pro to a USB-C monitor?

Hi everyone, hoping you could help me out here.

I have a late 2013, 15-inch, Retina Macbook Pro with ports for HDMI, USB 3, and Thunderbolt 2. I also have a 24MD4KL-B LG 24 Inch UltraFine 4K UHD IPS Monitor with USB-C ports that I want to use as a second display. What is my best option for an adapter (and software if necessary) to make this work? I've never tried using a second display before, so baby me a bit here.

(I'm planning on buying the 2021 Macbook Pro when it comes out, but would still like to use the monitor in the meantime.)

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 10:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 7:14 AM

jesskinard wrote:

I have a late 2013, 15-inch, Retina Macbook Pro with ports for HDMI, USB 3, and Thunderbolt 2. I also have a 24MD4KL-B LG 24 Inch UltraFine 4K UHD IPS Monitor with USB-C ports that I want to use as a second display. What is my best option for an adapter (and software if necessary) to make this work? I've never tried using a second display before, so baby me a bit here.

(I'm planning on buying the 2021 Macbook Pro when it comes out, but would still like to use the monitor in the meantime.)

Thank you!

Is the <LG 24 Inch UltraFine 4K UHD IPS Monitor with USB-C ports > supported for a late 2013 (?)

Using 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support
 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206587

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 11, 2021 7:14 AM in response to jesskinard

jesskinard wrote:

Thank you!

Is the <LG 24 Inch UltraFine 4K UHD IPS Monitor with USB-C ports > supported for a late 2013 (?)

Using 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support
 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206587

Sep 11, 2021 7:25 AM in response to jesskinard

If it is possible (not sure that it is), it's not going to be easy.

The LG Ultrafine monitors requires a USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 video signal, which your Mac cannot produce. While you can convert Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C type connection I doubt it would work for a Monitor.

But if you really want to give it a shot: https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/72701-thunderbolt-3-device-thunderbolt-2-mac/

You would need an adapter (unlikely the Apple one referenced in the link above would work for that). Don't know of any adapters, and can't seem to find any.

Wether that will work, is very much unknown. Don't think anybody has tried that, so be prepared to spend a lot money and it not work right or at all.

How to connect a late 2013 Macbook Pro to a USB-C monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.