You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac - Touch ID option not always showing on unlock screen

Hi. I have a new iMac (3 months old) with Touch ID on the keyboard.

Most of the time it's fine, and works. I know there are standard times when the iMac is supposed to ask me for my password before Touch ID is enabled e.g. after Restart, or after not using it for a day or two. That all works fine, and when the iMac gives me the Touch ID option, it unlocks the machine fine.

My problem is that, at random times, I come back to the iMac after only a few hours away - the screen is asleep and when I wake it up, I only get the option to use my password - there's no option for Touch ID. There's no warning message saying it needs my password to enable Touch ID, but there's no option to use Touch ID.

Tech support haven't been helpful - just telling me it shouldn't be doing that - which I know!

Anyone else had the same problem?

thx

iMac 24″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 1:44 PM

4 replies

Sep 14, 2021 10:07 AM in response to aja1980

Update. I discovered later this is not specific to the unlock screen. I had a problem with an app that had updated and needed me to sign back in. I entered my email address and then used the iMac facility to remember the password. It gave me the option to use Touch ID to retrieve the password list, but Touch ID didn't work.

It's as if, when this happens, the iMac doesn't know Touch ID is enabled. I restarted the iMac, signed in with my password, went back to the app and the password list, and this time Touch ID worked to retrieve the password. Now Touch ID works again for the unlock screen too.

But this has happened before, so I'm expecting it to disappear at some point.

Any thoughts out there?

thx

iMac - Touch ID option not always showing on unlock screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.