You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos

Hi--I am trying to attach photos to things...when I try to select photos, it just spins and spins. I looked on some earlier threads and found that my "use as system photo library" is grayed out in preferences...how can I make that button accessible as this seems that it may solve my problem? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 6:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 6:36 PM

When "use as system photo library" is grayed out in preferences that means that the library already is designated as your system photo library.

Try restarting your computer and see if that clears it up. If not, try booting up in Safe Mode (see Help menu instructions).

Make sure that you have sufficient free space on your drive for the Photos app to function efficiently.

Is your Photos library located on an external drive? If so the drive should be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Reformatting erases all data on the drive, so if you reformat be sure to back up any data that you want to keep, including your Photos library.

Also, I note that in your post's data it shows that you are using OSX 10.10, that is pretty old. You might consider first backing up your Mac and then upgrading to a newer operating system. That would also operate to upgrade your Photos app version. I don't know if that would help, but just thought I would mention it.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2021 6:36 PM in response to EOAX

When "use as system photo library" is grayed out in preferences that means that the library already is designated as your system photo library.

Try restarting your computer and see if that clears it up. If not, try booting up in Safe Mode (see Help menu instructions).

Make sure that you have sufficient free space on your drive for the Photos app to function efficiently.

Is your Photos library located on an external drive? If so the drive should be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Reformatting erases all data on the drive, so if you reformat be sure to back up any data that you want to keep, including your Photos library.

Also, I note that in your post's data it shows that you are using OSX 10.10, that is pretty old. You might consider first backing up your Mac and then upgrading to a newer operating system. That would also operate to upgrade your Photos app version. I don't know if that would help, but just thought I would mention it.

-- Rich

photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.