You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos taking up lots of space after new phone transfer

Got a new iPhone Promax (256gb) and decided to transfer back up from my Promax 11 instead of doing iCloud backup. It all works great, apart from one thing that puzzles me a bit. I use iCloud photos to manage my photo library, I have over 30,000 stored there. On my old phone photo storage was taking up 14GB. However, after the transfer, I find out my photo storage is a massive 129GB! So obviously during the transfer, a huge proportion of my iCloud photos was downloaded at full resolution. As iCloud manages the storage I assume there is nothing I can do, just wait for it to gradually replace the full resolution photos with smaller device sized versions as it’s supposed to do.

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 1:44 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 27, 2021 6:50 AM in response to tonyofla1976

Hi tonyofla1976, 

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. 

It sounds like you need some assistance with managing your photo and video storage on your iPhone and we have some Apple Support articles below that can help.

Manage your photo and video storage

How iOS and macOS report storage capacity

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage?

Have a nice day. 

Sep 28, 2021 1:06 AM in response to Jeff_W.

hi, thanks for the links Jeff. I actually don't think there is a way to do what I want! Which is, manage the amount the storage my icloud photos take up on my iPhone. Ideally, I would like to be able to set my own phone storage limit (say 5GB or 10GB for example) and offload most of my full-resolution photos to icloud, as you can do in Google Photos. Seems impossible to do this the way iCloud photo management currently works.

photos taking up lots of space after new phone transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.