You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos consuming too much memory even after turning on iCloud Sync

I just migrated to iCloud for my 38K photos. I had used finder sync to keep all my photos coordinated across several devices. There was always adequate space to have all the photos on the phone. Thie switch was successful on my iPad. All 38K are there and it only taking a fraction of the space memory.

In the process of migrating to a new phone, I believe I turned off iCloud sync, and backed up the iPhone to the Mac. it appears I caused 11K of the 38K original resolution photos to be downloaded to the phone consuming all space. It appears all these were migrated to the new phone.

I was told at the apple store turning iCloud photos back on would resolve this issue. I turned it on and a message appeared saying this would free up ~130G of space overnight while the phone was connected to power and on a WiFi network. I did and this morning I see no change in available space,.still only 14G free.

Mounting this phone with Photos on the Macit says the phone has 11K imported, and 322 new. These "new" photos are already on iCloud.

How can I safely resolve this? I want the original only on the Mac.

Paul

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 4:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 4:30 AM

This has been resolved. See this post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253131614?answerId=256060057022#256060057022

Paul

Similar questions

1 reply

Photos consuming too much memory even after turning on iCloud Sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.