You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

a new MAC

this is my 2012 iMac:

Model Identifier: iMac13,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 32 GB

Will a new MAC be worth it?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 11:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 11:21 AM

Personally, I like the old iMacs running Catalina.

However, that iMac is about ten years old now and support for it is flagging. I can generally push a Mac comfortably to about 10-12 years of use before I feel compelled to replace it. And I am very comfortable with the many ways to keep a Mac running well.

If you want a Mac that's trouble free and "just works", then yes, I'd say a new Mac would be worth it.

Don't buy the least expensive build, go for a middle tier model for both performance and features.

If cost is a factor, I suggest looking at an Apple Certified Refurbished Mac. They're the same quality, same warranty and service with a lower price, direct from Apple.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2021 11:21 AM in response to Marydee

Personally, I like the old iMacs running Catalina.

However, that iMac is about ten years old now and support for it is flagging. I can generally push a Mac comfortably to about 10-12 years of use before I feel compelled to replace it. And I am very comfortable with the many ways to keep a Mac running well.

If you want a Mac that's trouble free and "just works", then yes, I'd say a new Mac would be worth it.

Don't buy the least expensive build, go for a middle tier model for both performance and features.

If cost is a factor, I suggest looking at an Apple Certified Refurbished Mac. They're the same quality, same warranty and service with a lower price, direct from Apple.

a new MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.