You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't i update my mac

I can't get to an option to update my system software for my Mac. I want to install Excell and can't do it unless my software is updated.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 7:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 7:35 PM

amsiortega Said:

"why can't i update my Mac: I can't get to an option to update my system software for my Mac. I want to install Excell and can't do it unless my software is updated."

-------

Go Here: How to Update the Software on your Mac?

IMPORTANT: Prior to and after updating your Maccreate a Time Machine backup of it. That way you have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the update

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 1, 2021 7:35 PM in response to amsiortega

amsiortega Said:

"why can't i update my Mac: I can't get to an option to update my system software for my Mac. I want to install Excell and can't do it unless my software is updated."

-------

Go Here: How to Update the Software on your Mac?

IMPORTANT: Prior to and after updating your Maccreate a Time Machine backup of it. That way you have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the update

Oct 1, 2021 7:48 PM in response to amsiortega

Update will apply all the recent modifications to the SAME major version.

To install a newer major version, you need to UPGRADE, much more like buying a new version of MacOS, on sale for $0.

I suggest you stop short of Big Sur for now, as it has MANY incompatibilities which may be a shock

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

why can't i update my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.