You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dual monitors

I have a mac mini 2018 and one i mac 2009 being used as target display monitor. Want to add a second display (HP 24 f). I can only manage to work with both monitors displaying the same image. Once I try to separate them, the display on my iMac ceases to work. Can anyone help ?

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 5:20 AM

2 replies

Oct 4, 2021 6:46 AM in response to brejo

Hello brejo,

We understand that you're trying to use your iMac as a display for your Mac Mini along with another external display. We want to confirm, your setup first. Per Use multiple displays with your Mac, "For Mac computers with Mini DisplayPort, Thunderbolt, or Thunderbolt 2: You can connect up to two displays. If the displays themselves have Thunderbolt ports, you can connect one display to another, and then connect one of the displays to a Thunderbolt port on your Mac. If your Mac has two Thunderbolt ports, you can connect each display to separate Thunderbolt ports on your Mac. A DisplayPort device must be the last device in a chain of connected Thunderbolt devices."

Can you confirm that is how you're set up? Also, what operating systems are installed on your Mac Mini and iMac?

Thanks!

dual monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.