You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Mac Pro keeps prompting access to keychain but when I try to put in my password it doesn't accept. how do I reset password to reset keychain.

I keep getting message on my mac pro saying "keychain login cannot be found". I have tried to reset with my password but it doesn't seem to work as message is repeated over and over again.

I should add that I bought the mac pro second hand, so if previous owners had a keychain password how do I clear it?

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 11:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 8:19 AM

When it complains about this, it is telling you the FILE login.keychain-db (one of the three types of keychain files) cannot be found. Login keychain contains the keys that could be shared using your Apple-ID to your iCloud account, and on to your other devices.

It may not be accessible because it is already shared to the original User's Apple-ID.

You can NOT break into or re-specify the password(s) for Keychains.

This issue points out bigger problem: namely that your Mac may still be tied to the previous owner's Apple-ID [that has their payment method attached] any you may not be able to obtain ANY updates or upgrades if you continue to use a copy of MacOS tied to a different Apple-ID.

That is why This procedure is what should have been done when transferring ownership:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 12, 2021 8:19 AM in response to VictoriaParker

When it complains about this, it is telling you the FILE login.keychain-db (one of the three types of keychain files) cannot be found. Login keychain contains the keys that could be shared using your Apple-ID to your iCloud account, and on to your other devices.

It may not be accessible because it is already shared to the original User's Apple-ID.

You can NOT break into or re-specify the password(s) for Keychains.

This issue points out bigger problem: namely that your Mac may still be tied to the previous owner's Apple-ID [that has their payment method attached] any you may not be able to obtain ANY updates or upgrades if you continue to use a copy of MacOS tied to a different Apple-ID.

That is why This procedure is what should have been done when transferring ownership:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 17, 2021 4:37 PM in response to 1Redshoe

If your situation is EXACTLY as the original posters situation, you should "start over" using the article as a guide.

If a keychain is locked after you changed you login password, it is possible that your original password could unlock the keychain. You can NOT break into or re-specify the password(s) for Keychains.

if you are desperate, all you can do is create a NEW keychain, with NO keys in it, and add your keys back in, one at a time, as you re-derive them.

My Apple Mac Pro keeps prompting access to keychain but when I try to put in my password it doesn't accept. how do I reset password to reset keychain.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.