You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update iPad Air 2 to iOS 15.02 - iPad keeps shutting down

Ever since I updated my iPad Air 2 to the new iOS 15.02, it keeps randomly shutting down.

On each occasion it has well over 50% of battery life left.

I plug in the charger and get the red charging plug icon and then immediately after the iPad switches back on and I find I have around 10% less battery power than I did before it shut down.

I had no battery issues prior to downloading this update.

n anyone experiencing the same? Has Apple advised of any bugs/glitches they are aware of that’s causing this?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 1:31 AM

9 replies

Oct 14, 2021 1:57 AM in response to DJG77

First of all, I would contact Apple Support directly (they have tools to run remote diagnostics, battery status included), using this link:--> Get Support

If they say battery is okay, try these two basic troubleshooting steps:

A "forced" restart of your iPad, using these instructions:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top (power) button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top (power) button. Only when the Apple logo appears (it might take 15-30 seconds), release that button (ignore all other screens that might appear).

If the issue persists, something could have gone wrong during the latest update procedure.

I would try to install a fresh copy of iOS/iPadOS. To do this, create a full backup of your iPhone/iPad (1), then restore it to factory settings (you need a computer to perform this step) and, in the end, set it up as new (2).

When done, restore data from your previously made backup (3).

Follow the instructions provided in these support articles:

(1) How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – Apple Support

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

(3) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

If the issue still persists, make an appointment (*) and have your device inspected at an Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) among this list:--> Apple – Location Selector. After checking it out, they'll give you all the available options.

Regards

Giulio

(*) You can do it:

Oct 14, 2021 2:17 AM in response to DJG77

All reachable batteries have a finite life. The battery in your iPad Air2 may be approaching the end of its usable lifespan.

These support pages may be helpful:

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If the iPad is still functional, you might consider making direct contact with Apple Support - and request a remote battery diagnostic test. You’ll find the Get Support link at top-right of this page. You can also initiate a support case using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, it can be obtained from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Alternatively, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store will be able run full diagnostics - and provide appropriate advice and options on the basis of test results.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Oct 14, 2021 2:29 AM in response to LotusPilot

Yes I understand that and would’ve assumed that could be the issue, had it not been for the fact, that the battery had been functioning perfectly well, up until I did the iOS 15.02 update. It started playing up immediately after

Just wanted to find out if it was a common issue before speaking with Apple directly

Thanks

Oct 14, 2021 2:40 AM in response to DJG77

You're welcome.

Well, when performing updates, inconveniences can always happen, but it is difficult for us, just users like you, to diagnose those problems remotely.

That is why I have only listed the steps that can be taken in such circumstances.

First and foremost, the description of your problem sounds just like something related to the battery. If it has never been replaced, bearing in mind that that model was released in 2014, the battery may have reached (or is about to reach) the tipping point in its life, and have unpredictable behaviors.

Regards and best of luck.

Giulio

Oct 14, 2021 3:24 AM in response to ProustGiulio

It’s frustrating because the battery worked perfectly fine before I did this update.

So whilst I know batteries wear down over time, I’m not convinced the battery itself is the problem. If this had happened prior to the update then I would've totally assumed the battery was on the way out. But this happened immediately after downloading the new update. I had zero battery issues before. (And when I say it happened immediately, I’m talking literally within the first few hours of downloading the update).

So it’s either a software glitch or just a massive coincidence that it started playing up right after the new update was installed!

Appreciate other users can’t diagnose, was just looking to see if others had experienced anything similar right after downloading the new update. If they have I know it’s more likely to be a software issue. If they haven’t that points to a battery issue.

Oct 14, 2021 4:18 AM in response to DJG77

DJG77,

After each "major" update, the device itself, for 24-48 hours, has to perform a series of very heavy and tiring "house chores" (depending also on your wifi reliability and speed).

Among these many activities, just think of the reindex and cleaning of what has become obsolete on the device, especially if there are many apps, documents, media on it.

I don't want to convince you that this is a coincidence, but it is very likely (if your battery has never been replaced). Why not get rid of this doubt by checking the status of your battery?

Regards

Giulio

Update iPad Air 2 to iOS 15.02 - iPad keeps shutting down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.