You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change single column header to 3 column header in Mac Pages?

How do I change single column header to 3 column header in Mac Pages? I open a new document and the header and footer are single columns. I need it split into 3 separate cells.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 8:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 5:34 AM

If your document is based on the single-column Pages '09 document (or template), then you will not be presented by a tripartite header customary to normal Pages v5 - v11.2 documents. There is no forcing that single-column header/footer into three sections.

Copy/paste the contents of that single-column header document into a new Pages document with its default tripartite header.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2021 5:34 AM in response to kferguso

If your document is based on the single-column Pages '09 document (or template), then you will not be presented by a tripartite header customary to normal Pages v5 - v11.2 documents. There is no forcing that single-column header/footer into three sections.

Copy/paste the contents of that single-column header document into a new Pages document with its default tripartite header.

Oct 21, 2021 1:10 PM in response to kferguso

Pages was never designed to be a Word clone nor even compete with it, or any other word processing application. Microsoft has received a continuous revenue stream from all variations of Word for the last 37 years and that has funded a large, focused development team responding to corporate customer feature requests. Pages has been a free application on a free operating system since 2014, and that speaks for itself, with respect to Apple's development team funding and feature implementation requests. You get what you pay for… ☹️

If you need Word's features, or as some have done, return to Word from using Pages, that is a decision for you.

How do I change single column header to 3 column header in Mac Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.