You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet is disconnected if VPN application is stopped or closed

Anyone has this strange issue, I have a VPN application , whenever VPN connection stopped or if I have closed this application then immediately the connection from my MacBook will be interrupted , I tried all possible solution to uninstall the VPN or reinstall it , I tried to stop and activate the kill switch feature, I contacted apple support and support of both application of VPN , but no one can support me , anyone have such this issue and can help me please , sometime I don't need VPN because it will decrease the internet speed level .

Best regards

Fadi

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 2:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 4:03 PM

Here's some food for thought: unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites. 

That being said one of the most respected contributors to these forums and a respected developer has reported favorably about NordVPN.  So it may be more secure than most of the other public VPNs.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2021 4:03 PM in response to fadiamawi

Here's some food for thought: unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites. 

That being said one of the most respected contributors to these forums and a respected developer has reported favorably about NordVPN.  So it may be more secure than most of the other public VPNs.

Oct 20, 2021 4:09 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your addition and articles I will go through it and check it but now even if I am so convinced about the disadvantages of VPN and if I am trying to remove it or stop it , I can't because it somehow after close it/stop it/remove it , then it will cause an interruption and disconnection from the internet , this is the first time since 11 years when I am using a Mac

Internet is disconnected if VPN application is stopped or closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.