You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN issues on MacBook Pro 2021 14" (M1 Pro chip)

I have just purchased the new mac, configured it as new (no backup) and installed all my usual apps.

Everything works perfectly well, except my VPN.

Whenever I try to connect to a VPN, I cannot access internet. I have tried multiple VPN protocols, multiple VPN apps, and reset the WIFI configuration. Nothing works.

I tried using the browser vpn extensions, and finally I can get a working connection, although it does not offer the same advantages of a system-wide VPN.

The VPNs I tried are NordVPN and SurfShark, both using M1-compatible versions of the app.

I have Intego anti-virus & firewall, I have tried to disable it and test the VPNs, no luck.

I tried setting up different DNS addresses, no luck either

The whole thing is really weird and I have no idea what is causing the issue. My guess leans toward a problem around the M1 chip, as I cannot think of anything else. I have disabled the new iCloud private relay as a beta as well, in case, as well as the integrated macOS firewall. I am at a loss here.

If anyone has an idea, it is much appreciated!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 12:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 1:24 PM

I would uninstall Intego and all VPN clients. If you need to connect to your workplace or other organization's network through a point-to-point secure tunnel, ask the organization's IT staff which VPN client to use and how to configure it.

Similar questions

1 reply

VPN issues on MacBook Pro 2021 14" (M1 Pro chip)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.