You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV app (on iMac) won't play now

Earlier today, there were no issues watching Apple TV on my iMac. Then they started freezing. I reset the preferences, signed out, signed in, restarted a bunch of times, and adjusted playback options (I was even willing to watch in SD). Nothing fixed it. Now, it is telling me that my monitors (both 4K enabled) aren't able to play HDR videos. But it was fine all day yesterday and this morning.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance for your help.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 7:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 1:54 AM

it is telling me that my monitors aren't able to play HDR videos.

Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

4K and HDR are not necessarily combined. You can have one without the other.

HDR needs all three: device + screen + content. With one or more not HDR-capable, then the whole setup isn’t HDR-capable.

For iMacs, just iMacs introduced in 2020 or later, or iMac Pro (2017) are able to render (downloaded) HDR media files as HDR, when using HDR capable screens. That wouldn’t matter for streaming content, as that would request the SDR stream on non-HDR setups. Some third party media player software (e.g. VLC or IINA) can play HDR media files as SDR on non-HDR setups.

Play HDR video on Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn’t apply, then the error message itself may be in error, and then some general Mac troubleshooting is in order.

- Try starting up in Safe Mode.

- Try signing in on a different/new/fresh Mac user account.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 22, 2021 1:54 AM in response to deklanmedia

it is telling me that my monitors aren't able to play HDR videos.

Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

4K and HDR are not necessarily combined. You can have one without the other.

HDR needs all three: device + screen + content. With one or more not HDR-capable, then the whole setup isn’t HDR-capable.

For iMacs, just iMacs introduced in 2020 or later, or iMac Pro (2017) are able to render (downloaded) HDR media files as HDR, when using HDR capable screens. That wouldn’t matter for streaming content, as that would request the SDR stream on non-HDR setups. Some third party media player software (e.g. VLC or IINA) can play HDR media files as SDR on non-HDR setups.

Play HDR video on Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn’t apply, then the error message itself may be in error, and then some general Mac troubleshooting is in order.

- Try starting up in Safe Mode.

- Try signing in on a different/new/fresh Mac user account.

Apple TV app (on iMac) won't play now

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.