You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac doesn't connect to the internet when I wake it from sleep

Hi all,

I have FiOS as my internet provider. My brand new iMac doesn't immediately connect to the internet after going to sleep. I had been working remotely. I had an older model iMac here and at one point had the iMac and four laptops running at the same time and I never experienced this. When I went back to in-person work, everything went back to the office so I bought a new iMac in September. When I had that issue, the tech support had me return the iMac, I had the access point replaced and changed all the ethernet cables. When I received the new replacement, the same thing happened. I normally keep wifi off. I have to toggle the wifi back on to shorten the time I wait for the internet to come back. When I leave the wifi on, the same thing happens and I have to toggle the wifi off and on. My iMac is a 3.8 GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 and is running Big Sur 11.6 and I have searched the internet to see that people have been having this issue for years but no solution has been provided. Any ideas?

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 10:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 11:22 AM

Disable Sleep, it’s unnecessary on later Macs, all pain, no gain. Check “Prevent…” in Energy Preferences and uncheck everything else. You can leave the display off time as is, unrelated to Sleep.

Similar questions

3 replies

My iMac doesn't connect to the internet when I wake it from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.