You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to delete old iPhone backups from my MacBook (latest Big Sur)... I no longer have the phone

It's in the subject line. I transferred everything from my iPhone XS to the new iPhone 13 and discovered I have 60GB of backups from the old phone and, for all I know, previous ones. It would be great to free up 60GB from the 500GB hard drive.

I can't follow the usual directions because I can't plug the old phone and go through Finder to find old backups and delete them.

I have no idea if I can simply delete the 243 folders under Backup

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 5:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 9:27 AM

aprsocprof wrote:

Thanks! just to be absolutely clear, it's fine to delete the "00008020-000C64922289002E" folder that contains the 243 subfolders? Is there any reason not to jump up one step and just delete the "Backup" folder - I'm guessing it makes no difference.

If it were me I would just delete the entire folder

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 1, 2021 9:27 AM in response to aprsocprof

aprsocprof wrote:

Thanks! just to be absolutely clear, it's fine to delete the "00008020-000C64922289002E" folder that contains the 243 subfolders? Is there any reason not to jump up one step and just delete the "Backup" folder - I'm guessing it makes no difference.

If it were me I would just delete the entire folder

Nov 1, 2021 8:43 AM in response to aprsocprof

aprsocprof wrote:

It's in the subject line. I transferred everything from my iPhone XS to the new iPhone 13 and discovered I have 60GB of backups from the old phone and, for all I know, previous ones. It would be great to free up 60GB from the 500GB hard drive.
I can't follow the usual directions because I can't plug the old phone and go through Finder to find old backups and delete them.
I have no idea if I can simply delete the 243 folders under Backup

You do not need the old phone to delete the backups on your Mac.

From the Finder>Go>Go to Folder copy & paste:

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

I want to delete old iPhone backups from my MacBook (latest Big Sur)... I no longer have the phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.