You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple celebrates 10 years of Apple Pay. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No way to cancel an Apple wallet payment made to wrong phone number?

Within minutes I realized I made an Apple Cash payment of 55.00$ to the wrong #.

Upon going into my transaction history there was no way to cancel the transaction.

The other person apparently couldn't resist the temptation for free cash and gladly accepted.

Now in explaining the situation with several Apple customer support, all I've been told is that this payment was the same as person to person...Expect for the fact that. you don't see the person face nor does apple confirm who the other person is before you send "cash". So now Apple, a company at the forefront of technology, tells me that there is absolutely no way to reverse this "cash" transaction made less then 8 hours ago??.. Having hard time understanding why Apple would allow fraudulent activity to happen to their customers so easily, when they know they can easily rectify this situation.

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 8:22 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Nov 1, 2021 1:46 PM in response to CircleOutside

Generally, you're sending to people you know so they would be in their contacts. But, if you pay someone not in your contacts, no name or address will show. Same for any peer-to-peer service -- they simply would not display information to you based on a phone number unless it was a contact. So, the simple mechanism already exists, if the person is in your contacts, their name will display, if not, It won't.

They have no responsibility, sorry. Peer-to-peer is very different -- and just like cash.

Nov 1, 2021 8:35 AM in response to muguy

Except unlike other pay services the legal name and often address of the other person is confirmed before you send payment , Apple doesn’t confirm anything prior too sending , so if you make a typo, like I did and don’t catch it, the blame is on you the customer no matter how

quick you catch it, cause if a greedy and less moral person on other end accepts within seconds , you are out all your $$ and Apple will not help in any way. Explain to me how that’s a good policy for the customer and the company?

Nov 1, 2021 11:20 AM in response to muguy

Actually no because again the other systems verify who your sending to prior too with a full legal name and often an address/ or business name. Apple is Not

doing this , and then they are telling the customer by accepting the terms and conditions that it is the same as a person to cash transactions, which it in no way is . Furthermore the other systems such as PayPal. definitely do allow recourse for getting your money back.

Nov 1, 2021 12:46 PM in response to CircleOutside

No person to person payment system does that. Again, that's not how they work. All person-to-person payments are indeed the same as just giving someone money -- the same as a cash transaction because that's exactly what these are, a personal transfers of funds. It is virtually impossible to get your money back unless the recipient agrees to transfer it back.

Check it out:

Venmo - https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/209681208-I-paid-the-wrong-person-

PayPal - https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/i-sent-money-to-the-wrong-email-address,-but-the-payment-is-completed.-what-do-i-do-faq1467

Cashapp - https://cash.app/help/us/en-us/3051-cancel-a-payment

Zelle - https://www.zellepay.com/support/can-i-cancel-a-payment

Nov 1, 2021 1:40 PM in response to CircleOutside

When you send money via Apple Cash and put in the phone number of the receiver, does it show you any legal name or address of the other party? No it does not.

When you use other peer to peer systems to pay it absolutely does.

This simple mechanism could have avoided the problem I’m having. But for a company like Apple to not have that in place and then have no recourse of action for the customer in relation to a extremely recent transaction, is insulting and obfuscating responsibility on their part.

Nov 1, 2021 2:24 PM in response to CircleOutside

Btw The Venmo article says, while they can’t guarantee it, Venmo will make an attempt to recover funds sent to the wrong person.

Apple doesn’t even try.

Furthermore PayPal has a dispute resolution center for this.. Apple has nothing other then customer service who want to write you off as a nothing burger. The system is flawed against the customer/ user and they could care less.

Its not even about the 55.00$ I lost, it’s the fact that Apples customer service is so inherently lazy about responding to this type of situation.

No way to cancel an Apple wallet payment made to wrong phone number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.