You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I save NOTES file on my computer hard disk? I DO NOT want to save this file on the iCloud.

I want to save NOTES file on my computer hard disk.

But I DO NOT  want to save this file on the iCloud.  

For some reason  when I save this file , the file is automatically saved by the system on the iCloud????

How do I save the file on my computer hard disk???? 

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks a lot. 

Grigory.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 3:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 3:20 PM

See the information below from Add or remove accounts in Notes on Mac - Apple Support

Note: You don’t need an internet account to use Notes. You can store notes only on your Mac, but these notes won’t appear on your other devices.

Also, to see the folders, including "On My Mac" and iCloud, go to the View menu in the Notes app menubar and select Show Folders.

After turning on "On My Mac" you can drag existing notes to On My Mac before turning off iCloud notes.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 2, 2021 3:20 PM in response to grigory176

See the information below from Add or remove accounts in Notes on Mac - Apple Support

Note: You don’t need an internet account to use Notes. You can store notes only on your Mac, but these notes won’t appear on your other devices.

Also, to see the folders, including "On My Mac" and iCloud, go to the View menu in the Notes app menubar and select Show Folders.

After turning on "On My Mac" you can drag existing notes to On My Mac before turning off iCloud notes.

Nov 2, 2021 4:50 PM in response to grigory176

2.You are saying

"drag existing notes to On My Mac"

I understand what "drag existing notes to On My Mac" means. You say to drag my NOTES file into My Mac folder . I understand that.

No, that's not what I meant. Open the Notes app and in it, drag existing Notes folders from the window on the right to the "On My Mac" folder in the sidebar on the left (if the sidebar is not visible, click View menu > Show Folders).

"After turning on "On My Mac" ----> But I can not find a way to

turn on "On My Mac" ??????

Open the Notes app, click Preferences on the menu named Notes, click "Enable the On My Mac account."

Nov 2, 2021 6:50 PM in response to FoxFifth

I did as you have suggested and did the following:

1. I have used preferences from Notes menu
  2. I  have turned on  "On My Mac"  indicator 

Now I see the new NOTE under the On My Mac folder. This is great. Most probably it is OK now.  

From the screen shot I am attaching , you can see that the file is not under ALL iCloud folder, but under the On My Mac folder

Is this how I see that file is really on my hard disk and not on iCloud?

Is not there a way to see the attributes of any file ? something like "it is writable". or "you can run this file. it is executable"

or "

Where can I see attributes of this file, that indicates that NOTES file is not on the iCloud but on my MacBookAir computer hard disk?

I have attached the screenshot of my desktop

Thanks a lot. 

Grigory.

Nov 2, 2021 4:37 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thanks for the answer.

You are saying:

1. "You don’t need an internet account to use Notes. You can store notes only on your Mac, but these notes won’t appear on your other devices." ----> This is OK. I understand this.
  2. You are saying

"drag existing notes to On My Mac"

I understand what "drag existing notes to On My Mac" means. You say to drag my NOTES file into My Mac folder . I understand that.

1. You are saying:

"After turning on "On My Mac" ----> But I can not find a way to

turn on "On My Mac" ??????

Thanks a lot. 

Grigory.

How do I save NOTES file on my computer hard disk? I DO NOT want to save this file on the iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.