You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to have some files stored locally and some files stored on iCloud.

I started making videos and since they take up a lot of space I wanted to have the file with my videos kept only on my Mac so that it doesn’t take up all my iCloud space. I turned off desktop and documents so now all my documents are in the cloud. Is it possible to have some files stored locally and everything else on the cloud? Will I have to manually move all the files i want in the cloud? Also, if I ever turn desktop and documents back on will things duplicate? For example: I have a school folder currently on iCloud, if I make another one since now everything is local, will there be two school folders? Also, if I turn it back on right now what will happen? Will it sync with the local folders with nothing in them and remove all my files that are now only in the cloud ?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 8:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 9:12 PM

If you turned off desktop and documents anything placed into those folders will not upload to the cloud, you would need to place any files you want to upload in your iCloud Drive.

If you enable desktop and documents again, you'll get new folders into which you can upload.

Read the section about turning off desktop and documents at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206985

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 3, 2021 9:12 PM in response to HamzaAbdullah86

If you turned off desktop and documents anything placed into those folders will not upload to the cloud, you would need to place any files you want to upload in your iCloud Drive.

If you enable desktop and documents again, you'll get new folders into which you can upload.

Read the section about turning off desktop and documents at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206985

I want to have some files stored locally and some files stored on iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.