You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unwanted re-shuffling of multiple desktop spaces and other challenges

I have been user of multiple spaces for years. Like probably many others, I set up different spaces to keep work in one area separate from others. I use a number of different ways to go from one space to another, but what is very important is that the sequence of desktops remains fixed. That is, if I go into Mission Control and add a a seventh space to a collection of six, I expect that new space to remain Desktop 7 when I open Mission Control the next time. While Mission Control does give you the option to rearrange the order of the spaces/desktops - and I would do that on occasion - I could count on the sequence to remain fixed between visits to Mission Control. No brainer, right?

I never had reason to doubt that this very sensible feature of fixedness was built in - nor even considered that it wouldn't be. That was until about six months ago when I decided to implement multiple spaces on my personal iMac, which then (and still is) running Mojave. I set myself up with 5 desktops, but almost immediately I noticed that none of the added spaces would stay in place. One day the space originally set up as Desktop 2 and then the next day it would appear in Mission Control Center as Desktop 4.

More recently I began to encounter the same squirrelly behavior of multiple spaces on my new work computer. This is a 2019 MacBook Pro upgraded to Big Sur. Prior to this, I had been using up to 16 spaces on MacBook Pro of the same vintage and specs and never had a lick of trouble with spaces jumping around. Not even in Big Sur. This strongly suggests that there is a setting on the new machine that I need to change, but there is nothing that I can find in either System Preferences or in the Finder preferences that even mentions spaces, so it seems I'm a up a creek.

While I suspect that this unasked-for re-shuffling has something to do with the moving windows between different spaces, I haven't been able to figure out what is causing it to happen nor how to stop it. And the Apple support pages make no mention of this issue that I can discern.

At minimum, I need to know the trick to making the spaces stay put.

Thanks for reading this through to the end. I hope it describes my problem in sufficient detail.

Cheers

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 11:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 3:17 PM

There is (and always has been) an option in Mission Control System Prefs to automatically rearrange Desktops based on usage. I’m almost certain the default is on.

Similar questions

1 reply

Unwanted re-shuffling of multiple desktop spaces and other challenges

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.