You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Display Keywords

Can Finder display the keywords attached to my pictures? I know that I can use Finder to search pictures for a keyword in a picture but the Information sidebar does not show the keyword(s).

Finder version 11.5

macOS Big Sur version 11.6.1

Thank you,

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 8:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 9:02 AM

Perform a Finder Get Info on your pictures that have IPTC keywords. They will appear listed in the top category (keywords) in the More Info section.

Keywords are not one of the optional Preview options available for the Finder's Preview mode when you click on a picture containing IPTC keywords.

Opening the picture in Apple's Preview application and opening the Inspector (cmd+i) will reveal the image IPTC keywords in the ⌽ tab.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 16, 2021 9:02 AM in response to dtdavis

Perform a Finder Get Info on your pictures that have IPTC keywords. They will appear listed in the top category (keywords) in the More Info section.

Keywords are not one of the optional Preview options available for the Finder's Preview mode when you click on a picture containing IPTC keywords.

Opening the picture in Apple's Preview application and opening the Inspector (cmd+i) will reveal the image IPTC keywords in the ⌽ tab.

Nov 17, 2021 2:30 PM in response to dtdavis

Although you selected keywords on a Folder, no image within it bearing IPTC Keywords will reveal them in the Preview panel, and the Preview options panel has no selectable Keywords option on it. Just tested selecting Keywords on my Pictures folder, and then choosing a JPG with that folder known to have IPTC keywords in it. Nothing.

Nov 17, 2021 5:04 PM in response to VikingOSX

I got the same results and is why I sent a request to the product team.

The program that I use to attach keywords only allows me to search in one folder at a time. I like that Finder will look across all drives and return pictures for a keyword. But as I have added numerous keywords to every picture, one for each species and one for location, Finder would be much convenient if I could just see all of the keywords in the Preview Pane.

Regards,

Finder Display Keywords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.