You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I updated my Mac to the Monterey and several things now do not work. My mouse doesn't scroll and the system preferences won't even come up. Should I go back an update and if so, how do I do that?

I updated my Mac to the Monterey and several things now do not work. My mouse doesn't scroll and the system preferences won't even come up. Should I go back an update and if so, how do I do that?

iMac Pro

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 8:46 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Nov 26, 2021 9:13 AM in response to sheryll66

If the Safe Mode startup does not help, then please do the following:

It will help us get a good idea of what is causing your problem if you provide a report of your system, that way we do not have to play 20 questions with you. The report we are requesting does NOT provide any personal information and is extremely safe to use. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Nov 26, 2021 9:20 AM in response to sheryll66

Hello, sheryll66.

I'm sorry that you're having this trouble with the Mac.

I would only consider downgrading the OS if you cannot find a remedy otherwise. Downgrading is not trivial and will require that you wipe the internal drive and reinstall the OS from recovery mode. This is a last resort. You'll need to ensure first that you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your Mac and user data.

Instead, try this first.

If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode disables loading third-party drivers, forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and does other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

Also, ensure that you have no anti-virus, clean up or optimizing applications installed. These will very often interfere with the proper operation of macOS and cause more trouble than they claim to prevent. If you have these types of software, uninstall them per the developer's instructions, restart the Mac and see if the problem is resolved.

XProtect Explained: How Your Mac’s Built-in Anti-malware Software Works - How-To Geek:

https://www.howtogeek.com/217043/xprotect-explained-how-your-macs-built-in-anti-malware-works/

Dec 15, 2021 7:15 PM in response to sheryll66

I'm having the same problem with the scroll feature of the mouse. Re-starting the iMac only fixes the problem temporarily. If I go back a few hours later, the mouse scroll isn't working again. Then I have to re-start the computer and problem solved. But the problem returns. PLEASE FIX THIS BUG AT ONCE! The problem started after I updated to the newest macOS, 12.0.1

Dec 23, 2021 2:47 AM in response to sheryll66

I'm having the same issue. It also started when I updated to Monterey (hence it must be the culprit) and it happens every time I wake up the computer from sleep mode. The issue is only temporarily resolved after I restart it, but again, like other people here, it's only a temporary remedy. Is Apple aware of this issue and are they working to fix it? Does anyone know already the fix for this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.