You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my neighbors unwanted wifi signal shows as available on networks available

how can I block wifi signals from close neighbors networks?

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 9:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 8:33 AM

Your neighbor is just as entitled to have a WiFi system in their home as you are. Also all your close neighbors can see your WiFi as well. This is why you set your WiFi base station to use a password when connecting.

In System Preferences -> Network -> Wi-Fi interface in left column -> Advanced -> Wi-Fi (tab) -> Preferred Networks

Click and Drag your WiFi system to the top of the list.

If your neighbor's WiFi is in the list, delete it. This will not make it go away, but it should keep your Mac from trying to automatically join it.

And while you are looking at the Preferred Networks list, delete any networks you no longer wish to join.

When your Mac boots, or wakes up from Sleep, it will go through the Preferred Networks list and see if it can join each of the listed networks in the order displayed. If your home network is at the top of the list, it will immediately join, and stop searching.

If your home WiFi network is deep into the list, it will take longer for your Mac to connect to your home WiFi and if any of the networks above your home network are found, your Mac will join that network (if it has all the right credentials, or if the network does not have a WiFi password). This is why it is important to have your home network at the top of the list, and if you go to coffee shops, or take your Mac to work, have those networks also near the top of the list as well.

I do not think you have this button, but if in the Advanced -> WiFi, if you see an "Automatically Join" button, disable it. It is not in my El Capitan, nor my Catalina system, so I think that button was removed, and in your High Sierra system, you should not see it.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 27, 2021 8:33 AM in response to bestshrinklady

Your neighbor is just as entitled to have a WiFi system in their home as you are. Also all your close neighbors can see your WiFi as well. This is why you set your WiFi base station to use a password when connecting.

In System Preferences -> Network -> Wi-Fi interface in left column -> Advanced -> Wi-Fi (tab) -> Preferred Networks

Click and Drag your WiFi system to the top of the list.

If your neighbor's WiFi is in the list, delete it. This will not make it go away, but it should keep your Mac from trying to automatically join it.

And while you are looking at the Preferred Networks list, delete any networks you no longer wish to join.

When your Mac boots, or wakes up from Sleep, it will go through the Preferred Networks list and see if it can join each of the listed networks in the order displayed. If your home network is at the top of the list, it will immediately join, and stop searching.

If your home WiFi network is deep into the list, it will take longer for your Mac to connect to your home WiFi and if any of the networks above your home network are found, your Mac will join that network (if it has all the right credentials, or if the network does not have a WiFi password). This is why it is important to have your home network at the top of the list, and if you go to coffee shops, or take your Mac to work, have those networks also near the top of the list as well.

I do not think you have this button, but if in the Advanced -> WiFi, if you see an "Automatically Join" button, disable it. It is not in my El Capitan, nor my Catalina system, so I think that button was removed, and in your High Sierra system, you should not see it.

Nov 27, 2021 2:38 AM in response to bestshrinklady

As already mentioned by previous posting not needed to Block.

In practical terms - ask the neighbour to turn off the unused Wifi or put a Solid Object in direct path of the signal coming from the neighbours wifi signal. It will not block but may reduce the interference / power of the signal.

PS - in this place, I have 54 Wifi signals from other condos.

my neighbors unwanted wifi signal shows as available on networks available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.