You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset MacBook air to factory settings but don't remember password for air MacBook to even get in

I need to reset my MacBook Air to factory settings forgot the password to get onto the MacBook and when I try to use the credentials for Apple it doesn’t work either and I did set up a new password and the password for Apple ID isn’t even working very very frustrated

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 7:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 10:42 PM

Hi Hmm12-Ab,

If you forgot your Apple ID password, you can reset it here: https://iforgot.apple.com

You can erase your MacBook Air, even if you don't know your password, using these steps. Select the correct article, depending on whether the Mac has an Intel processor or the M1 chip. When the erase process is complete, you might need to authenticate with your Apple ID and password in order to clear Activation Lock.

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support (CA)

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 4, 2021 10:42 PM in response to Hmm12-Ab

Hi Hmm12-Ab,

If you forgot your Apple ID password, you can reset it here: https://iforgot.apple.com

You can erase your MacBook Air, even if you don't know your password, using these steps. Select the correct article, depending on whether the Mac has an Intel processor or the M1 chip. When the erase process is complete, you might need to authenticate with your Apple ID and password in order to clear Activation Lock.

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support (CA)

Reset MacBook air to factory settings but don't remember password for air MacBook to even get in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.