You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I reset my MacBook password if I forgot it and what I thought it was is not working

How do I reset my MacBook Air password? I entered what I thought it was (my son set it up and reset set it recently). I have tried every variation and it is not what I had written down. It doesn't give me an option to get a hint and it was not set up for any additional users. I do not want to restart it since I do not know what the password is.

Is there a way to reset the password (this is a 2nd hand MacBook - I am not the original owner, purchased used/factory reset). I have researched online and the Apple supports I found all state the same thing (system preference, User & Groups, enter your old password then new. I cannot enter the old one - I don't know it!)

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on May 2, 2022 12:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 2, 2022 12:59 PM

See the information in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

1 reply

How do I reset my MacBook password if I forgot it and what I thought it was is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.