You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to install macOS big Sur and click on the hard drive I get an error volume not formatted for apfs

When I try to install macOS big Sur and click on the hard drive I get an error volume not formatted for apfs

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 8:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 8:13 AM

Is this computer running High Sierra as this is where the posting of you question is posted ??

Or this computer running Mojave as per user profile using a Mac Mini.

If Mojave exactly what version of Mojave ? Some time around Mojave 10.14.3 or 10.14.4 the Mojave update would Convert the Old HFS Journaled drive to the new APFS Format.

If this was not done - that might be the Source of the Error Message one has received.

If this is the case Follow this link to posting by @ leroydouglas for converting HFS Journaled to APFS format.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 4, 2021 8:13 AM in response to williamfromleavenworth

Is this computer running High Sierra as this is where the posting of you question is posted ??

Or this computer running Mojave as per user profile using a Mac Mini.

If Mojave exactly what version of Mojave ? Some time around Mojave 10.14.3 or 10.14.4 the Mojave update would Convert the Old HFS Journaled drive to the new APFS Format.

If this was not done - that might be the Source of the Error Message one has received.

If this is the case Follow this link to posting by @ leroydouglas for converting HFS Journaled to APFS format.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.