You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Storage Left!!!

I recently bought more iCloud storage with the intention to free up space on my phone. When I did, however, it didn’t free up any space. I set it to optimize storage, which helped a little, but I still only have 2-3 gigabytes left. Is there a way for me to keep my photos on my phone without them taking up space on the physical storage?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 5:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 7:54 PM

iCloud doesn’t move the photos to the cloud, it basically only ensures that they are synced across all of your devices. The optimize setting leaves a smaller file version of the photo on your device until you go to view it, but iCloud doesn’t offer a way to only store the photos on the cloud.

There are some other photo backup apps that keep them entirely in the cloud, though.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2021 7:54 PM in response to A_curious_person

iCloud doesn’t move the photos to the cloud, it basically only ensures that they are synced across all of your devices. The optimize setting leaves a smaller file version of the photo on your device until you go to view it, but iCloud doesn’t offer a way to only store the photos on the cloud.

There are some other photo backup apps that keep them entirely in the cloud, though.

No Storage Left!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.