You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight (Flexgate)

Hi, I have a MacBook Pro 2017 (TouchBar) and I'm facing the backlight problem as it happens in 2016 MacBook Pro:

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service.

I was wondering when Apple will decide to cover MacBook Pro 2017 on Service Program.

As we can see around the internet, there are many users facing the same problem on MBP 2017.

I posted this problem on https://www.apple.com/contact/feedback/ but I haven't received an answer yet.

Does anyone know how to proceed?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 6:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 7:02 AM

Given the Apple Service program for this has been set for some time now, the likelihood of Apple changing the policy is nil. However, stranger things have happened.

The best an individual can do is submit feedback to Apple in hopes that enough complaints will prompt a response. Realize however, Apple has already done this once and settled on a final policy. In any event, the wheels at Apple grind very finely, but they also grind very slowly so don't expect immediate results.

Apple feedback: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Apple does not respond to feedback issues. They state they do read them all, but no personalized responses are the norm.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 15, 2021 7:02 AM in response to douglas_antoniazi

Given the Apple Service program for this has been set for some time now, the likelihood of Apple changing the policy is nil. However, stranger things have happened.

The best an individual can do is submit feedback to Apple in hopes that enough complaints will prompt a response. Realize however, Apple has already done this once and settled on a final policy. In any event, the wheels at Apple grind very finely, but they also grind very slowly so don't expect immediate results.

Apple feedback: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Apple does not respond to feedback issues. They state they do read them all, but no personalized responses are the norm.

Dec 29, 2021 1:37 PM in response to douglas_antoniazi

I have the same issue. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2018 4 TBT3 and Apple support is refusing to help.

They are offering repair for 649 EUR.

Keep posting about this issue and call Apple Support. This is the only way they may starting to see this is a bigger issue than they might have thought! More MBPs from 2017, 2018 are likely to fail as they get used.

At JUST the right angle the display works "fine".

Dec 31, 2021 12:53 PM in response to douglas_antoniazi

I've followed the trail as far as I can with my 2017 13-inch MacBook Pro. It's now developed the complete backlight shutoff problem. I've tried support, the genius bar (which was particularly unhelpful), and now I've registered a formal complaint with a senior support advisor. I would suggest you do so also but know it takes some time to work through the process.

Sadly, I've had no result and keep getting told they will repair it for just under $500 US.

Feb 10, 2022 1:30 PM in response to douglas_antoniazi

Hi Douglas,

Unfortunately, your Mac will likely not be accepted as part of the Service Program. That said, if enough of these incidents happen for your model and Apple decides to later include your model in the program, you'll get a full refund in such a case.

There may also be third-party repair shops that could likely fix the issue as well. Their cost may be cheaper than Apple's, as they may try to repair the underlying faulty component instead of replacing the entire display. However, Apple doesn't warrant any repair work done by non-authorized repair shops.

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight (Flexgate)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.