You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos titles in shared albums

Have just started looking into shared albums and seem to have come across a major flaw. When you create a shared album from an already existing album, it does not carry the titles of each photo across.

I spent hours and hours clicking the get info button on each photo to to enter a title so that when you view the photo, it has a title above it; but when you create a shared album, the titles are not duplicated!

Any ideas anyone?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 1:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 1:43 PM

Hi barberlives123 & Old Toad,

Thanks for your clarification of that just being the way it works, but that leads me to the question, “Why?”

For example, the album I am sharing is comprised of photos of my family from way back when the kids were young and the people I’m sharing it with are also invited family members. The fact that they can’t see those descriptive titles in the shared album seems to me quite bizarre, and certainly a nuisance. The shared album doesn’t even allow me to enter information into the title metadata of the photos that have been copied! That seems to go against the whole premise of sharing ☹️ It should be up to me, the “author,” to decide what is private with my own family members.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 19, 2021 1:43 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi barberlives123 & Old Toad,

Thanks for your clarification of that just being the way it works, but that leads me to the question, “Why?”

For example, the album I am sharing is comprised of photos of my family from way back when the kids were young and the people I’m sharing it with are also invited family members. The fact that they can’t see those descriptive titles in the shared album seems to me quite bizarre, and certainly a nuisance. The shared album doesn’t even allow me to enter information into the title metadata of the photos that have been copied! That seems to go against the whole premise of sharing ☹️ It should be up to me, the “author,” to decide what is private with my own family members.

Dec 19, 2021 1:17 PM in response to MacUser308

Hello MacUser308,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. Upon review of your post, it seems that you have questions about the titles of photos carrying over when you share an album. We can see why you’d want this clarified so we’re happy to explain. Metadata (such as location, date, title, and other data) is intentionally not shared when you share photos with another album. This is working as expected for Photos.

We welcome all thoughts, comments and suggestions, on your Photos app or any other Apple products and services. Send us feedback on this here: Apple Feedback.

Additionally, this helpful article was linked to your posting in case you’ve not yet explored it: How to share albums in Photos on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Please let us know if you have follow up questions, so we can continue assisting. Take care!

Dec 19, 2021 2:00 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your suggestion re 3rd party but I had already thought of that and was trying to keep everything under the Apple umbrella. I’ve used Google Photos fairly extensively for sharing and find it pretty seamless, but I’m continuing to explore the issue through Apple support because I like the whole syncing thing through iCloud.

Dec 19, 2021 2:22 PM in response to MacUser308

You can always use a 3rd party image editor, i.e. Affinity Photos, GraphicConverter or Photoshop Elements for Mac, to add additional white space at the bottom of the photos and add the data you want the family members to have via text to that space before uploading to the Shared Album. Or use the Markup editing feature of Photos to add the text directly to the photo.

Photos titles in shared albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.