You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

check to see if macbook is activation locked

How do I know if my new macbook air 2020 Monterey is activation locked? I transferred using migration assistant and new device says" Activation lock status"-Enabled. Old macbook air (2012) Catalina has nothing in same place under hardware overview.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 5:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 6:24 PM

Activation Lock for Mac

Activation Lock is designed to prevent others from using your Mac if it's lost or stolen.

Activation Lock helps keep your Mac secure, even if it's lost or stolen, and can improve your chances of recovering it. With Activation Lock, your Apple ID password or device passcode is required before anyone can turn off Find My, erase your Mac, or reactivate and use your Mac. Even if you erase your Mac remotely, Activation Lock can continue to deter others from reactivating your Mac without your permission. All you need to do is keep Find My turned on and remember your Apple ID and password.

How to enable Activation Lock

If your Mac meets the Activation Lock system requirements, just turn on Find My to enable Activation Lock:

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Apple ID.
  2. Select iCloud in the sidebar, then select Find My Mac on the right.

Activation Lock remains enabled as long as you keep Find My turned on. Learn more about Find My.

How to disable Activation Lock

To disable Activation Lock, turn off Find My:

2. Select iCloud in the sidebar, then deselect Find My Mac on the right.
  3. Find My also turns off when you sign out of iCloud, such as when preparing to sell, give away, or trade in your Mac.

If you don't have access to your Mac, use a web browser on another device to remove Activation Lock.

If your previously owned Mac shows an Activation Lock window that asks for someone else's Apple ID, the previous owner may need to remove Activation Lock for you.

System requirements for Activation Lock

Activation Lock is available on Mac computers with Apple silicon or the Apple T2 Security Chip. Additional requirements:

Published Date: July 16, 2021

Activation Lock for Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 22, 2021 6:24 PM in response to r_MacM

Activation Lock for Mac

Activation Lock is designed to prevent others from using your Mac if it's lost or stolen.

Activation Lock helps keep your Mac secure, even if it's lost or stolen, and can improve your chances of recovering it. With Activation Lock, your Apple ID password or device passcode is required before anyone can turn off Find My, erase your Mac, or reactivate and use your Mac. Even if you erase your Mac remotely, Activation Lock can continue to deter others from reactivating your Mac without your permission. All you need to do is keep Find My turned on and remember your Apple ID and password.

How to enable Activation Lock

If your Mac meets the Activation Lock system requirements, just turn on Find My to enable Activation Lock:

2. Select iCloud in the sidebar, then select Find My Mac on the right.

Activation Lock remains enabled as long as you keep Find My turned on. Learn more about Find My.

How to disable Activation Lock

To disable Activation Lock, turn off Find My:

2. Select iCloud in the sidebar, then deselect Find My Mac on the right.
  3. Find My also turns off when you sign out of iCloud, such as when preparing to sell, give away, or trade in your Mac.

If you don't have access to your Mac, use a web browser on another device to remove Activation Lock.

If your previously owned Mac shows an Activation Lock window that asks for someone else's Apple ID, the previous owner may need to remove Activation Lock for you.

System requirements for Activation Lock

Activation Lock is available on Mac computers with Apple silicon or the Apple T2 Security Chip. Additional requirements:

Published Date: July 16, 2021

Activation Lock for Mac - Apple Support

check to see if macbook is activation locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.