You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot text certain contacts from iPad Pro

My devices: iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

My wife’s device: iPhone 11

All devices are running the latest iOS updates. We both have the same carrier (Verizon)

I have my iPad and my iPhone paired and on the same local network. I can make and receive phone calls on my iPad using my iPhone. I can also send and receive text messages on the iPad through the iPhone to *ALMOST* everybody.

Just recently - I suddenly cannot send a text message to my wife’s iPhone. I used to do this all the time. Now, I get a cryptic message that just says “NOT DELIVERED” and gives me a retry option (which always fails to send). It is just her. I can text other people just fine.

I don’t have a large circle of friends so I can’t say for certain that she’s the only person in the WORLD I can’t text. But there are 4 or 5 others that I regularly text without problems. I don’t know what devices they are using to read/send texts but a couple I do know have iPhones.

And the problem is just on my iPad, I can text her direct from my iPhone just fine.

Any ideas?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 1:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 6:14 PM

You indirectly solved my problem. I did not know about the blue vs. red color meanings on messages. Once you mentioned that they should be blue (iMessage), I asked the wife if she turned off her iMessaging recently. She did because she thought that would solve some other problem she was having (totally unrelated).

I had her turn it back on and now it is working fine again.

Thanks for your help on this.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2021 6:14 PM in response to sberman

You indirectly solved my problem. I did not know about the blue vs. red color meanings on messages. Once you mentioned that they should be blue (iMessage), I asked the wife if she turned off her iMessaging recently. She did because she thought that would solve some other problem she was having (totally unrelated).

I had her turn it back on and now it is working fine again.

Thanks for your help on this.

Dec 29, 2021 1:44 PM in response to Williammadonna

Might you and your wife be sharing an Apple ID? If so, stop doing that immediately.

The person acquiring the new Apple ID must thoroughly cleanse her/his Apple device(s) as follows:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Then “move in” using that new Apple ID.

Later, if you wish:

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Cannot text certain contacts from iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.