You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update my MBP (Early 2015) to Monterey

Hey,

So I'm trying to fix up my old MBP for sale and installing Monterey. It wouldn't originally turn on, so I had to factory reset it. Internet Recovery only gives me the -5101F error.

I read somewhere that resetting the NVRAM might help on this, but it didn't.

So, then I managed to install OSX Yosemite on it, but here I can't log in to App Store, since it won't recognise my password. It's the same user I log in with, and I've tried it on different MacBooks: The password is entirely correct.

I even get a notification on my iPhone and new MacBook with a two factor authentication code, but the App Store doesn't prompt me to type it in somewhere. This confirms that the password is correct because if I just write gibberish in it, nothing happens to the other devices.

I've even tried logging into other apps with the same account to see if it somehow helps it (read that working somewhere else), but it doesn't.

Help? :(

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 10:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 8:52 PM

FIXED: I ended up creating a completely new user and signed in on App Store, updated the OS and used my original user (and the exact same password) to sign into App Store on Monterey. For some reason it seems like OSX Yosemite just didn't want my user logged in on App Store?

So, issue solved, I guess!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 31, 2021 8:52 PM in response to PRP_53

FIXED: I ended up creating a completely new user and signed in on App Store, updated the OS and used my original user (and the exact same password) to sign into App Store on Monterey. For some reason it seems like OSX Yosemite just didn't want my user logged in on App Store?

So, issue solved, I guess!

Dec 31, 2021 7:09 AM in response to jackshjt

jackshjt wrote:

Hey,

So I'm trying to fix up my old MBP for sale and installing Monterey. It wouldn't originally turn on, so I had to factory reset it. Internet Recovery only gives me the -5101F error.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/27b5a312-71b2-4da2-9019-81368ae96448

I read somewhere that resetting the NVRAM might help on this, but it didn't.

So, then I managed to install OSX Yosemite on it, but here I can't log in to App Store, since it won't recognise my password. It's the same user I log in with, and I've tried it on different MacBooks: The password is entirely correct.

I even get a notification on my iPhone and new MacBook with a two factor authentication code, but the App Store doesn't prompt me to type it in somewhere. This confirms that the password is correct because if I just write gibberish in it, nothing happens to the other devices.

I've even tried logging into other apps with the same account to see if it somehow helps it (read that working somewhere else), but it doesn't.

Help? :(

Since one is getting the computer ready for Sale one should bring the OS back to its Original State - that being OS X Yosemite

Then leave it in that state for sale. Nothing more need to be done. Not upgrading to any version beyond its original OS X Yosemite.

It becomes the New Owner to decided what version of OS X or macOS to install or not install.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Dec 31, 2021 7:19 AM in response to jackshjt

I understand you post to make the machine more attractive to possible New Owners but that effectively remove the Option from the new Owner from making an informed decision on what version he / she wants on the computer.

Remember - starting in Catalina macOS 10.15 and above - these versions of macOS ONLY SUPPORT everything 64 bit and there are no workaround for that. If the new owner needs or what to Migrate their Older Apple Computer to the newer Apple Computer you are sell and it has Monterey installed - Presto - they can not migrate 32 bit Applications, extension and Drive to the Monterey Computer .

All the above should, in good conscience, be left to the buyer to decide IMHO

Can't update my MBP (Early 2015) to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.