You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I migrate my spouse to her own iCloud account?

Challenge/Problem:

Wife and I are sharing the same iCloud account (been doing this since iTunes early days) and I am tired of seeing her missed call logs, etc on my iOS device, etc. It would be easier if we each have our own, utilize Family Sharing, but NOT lose all her iPhone setup, Photos, data, etc during the process of migrating.

Goal:

Wife to have her own iCloud account setup on her iOS device but no lose all her contacts, settings, iMessages/SMS, WhatsApp backups to iCloud, iPhone app setup/configuration, etc. She will subsequently be added to the Family Sharing.

Backdrop/Current Setup:

1) Wife and have separate iOS devices

2) Wife and I share the same iCloud username and password (this practice pre-dates Family Sharing) on each device

Is this even possible and how do I go about tackling this without losing everything? My wife would murder me if I lost all her data.

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 8:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 6:07 PM

Hi AshTrey,

We understand you'd like to sign in to a new Apple ID on a device and would like to keep all of the data you currently have synced to a different Apple ID. We're happy to offer some guidance.

To move the data to a different Apple ID, you'll need to temporarily store everything to the device. Go to Settings > your name at the top > iCloud, then turn off each of the things you currently have stored in iCloud (Photos, Contacts, Calendars, Notes, etc). When you turn them off you'll be prompted to save them or remove them from your device, make sure to save them to the device.

Once you've done that, you can then proceed with signing out of the current Apple ID and into the new one. Once you've signed in to the new account you can then turn back on everything you'd like to store in iCloud again and it will upload the items from the device to iCloud under that Apple ID account.

Change your iCloud settings

Hope this helps. Cheers!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 4, 2022 6:07 PM in response to AshTrey

Hi AshTrey,

We understand you'd like to sign in to a new Apple ID on a device and would like to keep all of the data you currently have synced to a different Apple ID. We're happy to offer some guidance.

To move the data to a different Apple ID, you'll need to temporarily store everything to the device. Go to Settings > your name at the top > iCloud, then turn off each of the things you currently have stored in iCloud (Photos, Contacts, Calendars, Notes, etc). When you turn them off you'll be prompted to save them or remove them from your device, make sure to save them to the device.

Once you've done that, you can then proceed with signing out of the current Apple ID and into the new one. Once you've signed in to the new account you can then turn back on everything you'd like to store in iCloud again and it will upload the items from the device to iCloud under that Apple ID account.

Change your iCloud settings

Hope this helps. Cheers!

How do I migrate my spouse to her own iCloud account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.