You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data not wiped from Mac Mini after Erase All Content And Settings, trade in rejected

I recently attempted to trade in my M1 Mac Mini via mail to get credit towards my new computer. Before doing so I followed this guide https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212749 to erase all content and settings. I confirmed that the device was removed from my account and the Find My network, and when I booted it up it asked you to selected a language and set up the device (like it does on a brand new computer). So I assumed everything was good to go and sent it in.

Shortly later I got a notification that the trade in value was determined to be $0 because the data was not wiped. After a couple calls with apple support they said my only option is to reject the trade in and have it sent back to me. They used a third party trade in partner for this which I have no way of contacting.

I rejected the trade in but now it's been a few weeks and after contacting apple support they said the trade in has not been shipped back to me yet. So that's really frustrating. There's also no way to track the return from the third party.

So I have two questions:

• Is using erase all content and settings not the right way to prepare your M1 Mac for trade in? Or is there a bug with it that it might not work completely?
  • Has anyone has this experience with a trade in partner? I feel like my order could have gotten mixed up and I am starting to doubt their legitimacy now that they aren't sending my Mac back in a reasonable amount of time.

Thank you. I love apple but unfortunately this has left a sour taste in my mouth. Contacting apple support directly hasn't seemed to help so that's why I am posting here.

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 11:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 11:58 AM

Seems like your Erase all did not take care of some of the content. See the following for a more comprehensive way to accomplish this task.:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 31, 2022 9:11 PM in response to slowmagick

I got absolutely same with my old iPhone when trying to trade in. Erased everything, disabled find my iPhone option etc, it showed me the set up function when switched on (like ‘hello’ in all languages and invitation to set up my phone as if it was new), so assumed it is all done. And now got an email, that trade in value is £0!! So annoying!

Mar 11, 2022 6:38 PM in response to slowmagick

Hello slowmagick,

How has your problem been resolved?

I have the exact same problem with my M1 MacBookPro 13' from late 2020! Erased using the System Preferences and trade-in partner says "Data not erased" with a value of 0! I refused and received it back shortly, it was completely erased as it should've been. I erased it AGAIN and sent it back a second time, same problem! "Data not erased"! I'm bringing it to the physical apple store next week for the trade-in. What a horrible experience.

Apr 5, 2022 10:22 PM in response to azerty800

Sadly, the issue is not resolved.

After several calls with Apple support my only option was for them to send it back to me.

After waiting over a month for it to get sent back, I found that the Mac Mini no longer starts correctly and the operating system cannot be reinstalled from recovery mode. This was not the case when I sent it in - so clearly something went wrong during the tradein.

Fortunately my Apple care is still valid so hopefully I can take it in to be fixed.

In the end I’m not sure what went wrong. Did erase all content and setting actually not work or did the third party tradein partner make a mistake that corrupted the hard drive?

Either way I would caution anyone against using the erase all content and settings command. This has been a painstaking, multiple months long process and it is still not over or resolved.

Apr 5, 2022 10:25 PM in response to bobcollard

Thank you, maybe this is the correct way to do it but unfortunately it seems like using Erase All Contents and Settings and then sending it to Apple, the device no longer works.

Hopefully this helps someone else. I wish Apple would see this and realize the major issue with this command and the tradein process that has turned my device into a brick for the time being.

Data not wiped from Mac Mini after Erase All Content And Settings, trade in rejected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.