You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple music songs cannot be copied to an iPod

Hi,

I've been reading the forums for a while trying to resolve this situation.

I have an iPod nano and have just recently started to use it in the car, so I thought I'd update the music since everything was pretty old on there!

So, I signed up to iTunes and downloaded quite a lot of music. However, I'm getting an error:

'Some of the items in the library were not copied to the iPod because Apple Music songs cannot be copied to and iPod'.

I can't seem to get this to work and I'm sure Apple wouldn't purposely let me buy a load of music which I can only play on my laptop...

Could somebody please enlighten me as to how I get this to work?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

iPod nano (7th Gen)

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 1:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 1:36 AM

If you have subscribed to the Apple Music service this gives you the opportunity to stream, or downloaad for offline listening, songs from a huge library for a monthly subscription. Songs downloaded this way cannot be moved to any other device nor listened to if you stop the subscription. This is because if you could do this you could download a huge number of songs in one month, stop the subscription, and keep the songs - which is obviously unviable.

The only songs you can copy to your iPod are ones you actually bought individually in iTunes/Apple Music, separately from the subscription.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 7, 2022 1:36 AM in response to rich_ipod

If you have subscribed to the Apple Music service this gives you the opportunity to stream, or downloaad for offline listening, songs from a huge library for a monthly subscription. Songs downloaded this way cannot be moved to any other device nor listened to if you stop the subscription. This is because if you could do this you could download a huge number of songs in one month, stop the subscription, and keep the songs - which is obviously unviable.

The only songs you can copy to your iPod are ones you actually bought individually in iTunes/Apple Music, separately from the subscription.

Jan 7, 2022 2:15 AM in response to rich_ipod

You can keep, and copy to your iPod, songs you actually purchased: obviously you're not free to do anything which would contravene the copyright in the songs such as publishing them on a website.

If you stop the subscription any songs you downloaded within the subscription will stop working and may well disappear. While you are subscribing you can download subscribed songs to another device which is signed into Apple Music, obviously as long as that device can connect to the internet (which therefore precludes iPods other than the Touch).

Apple music songs cannot be copied to an iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.