You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac gets stuck while checking for updates

System Preferences shows “1 Software update”.  Wenn I click on it, it says “checking for updates”. Then it is stuck in checking for updates forever.

Also, to see what updates are installed on my iMac, I do the following:

Hold down Option while choosing the apple menu icon

Select System Information

Click the Installations Link under Software

Under Software name it only shows several install dates of Adobe Flash Player, no macOS or anything else.

What could be the problem?

My main concern is that it won't be able to automatically udate.

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 11:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 12:17 PM

Adobe has not been supported in Flash format for over a year.

Visit this website to remove it.

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

As for the other software updates not working:

1. Backup your data.
  2. Determine if the update you are going to is compatible with both your hardware, and software.
  3. If you are running Big Sur, and want to get to Monterey, follow the requirements on this page.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 17, 2022 12:17 PM in response to margalina

Adobe has not been supported in Flash format for over a year.

Visit this website to remove it.

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

As for the other software updates not working:

1. Backup your data.
  2. Determine if the update you are going to is compatible with both your hardware, and software.
  3. If you are running Big Sur, and want to get to Monterey, follow the requirements on this page.

Jan 17, 2022 2:07 PM in response to margalina

In Systems Information > Software > Installations, the list is displayed in alpabetical order, so a lot of adobe installs may show first.

You can rearrange the list by clicking two times on the top of the "installation date" column, then it displays the last installation first.

The list is build from a file in /Library/receipts/InstallHistory.plist. You can look there to see if it is not corrupted.

I doubt that it will solve your problem with checking for updates getting stuck.

My guess is that you cannot get trough to the server because of internet connection problems.

The update that is shown, is probably the Monterey update. Since yesterday I got an entry in the installations list "MacOS Installation Notification version 2" and now i also get a 1 Software update notification for Monterey by the way.

iMac gets stuck while checking for updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.