You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swipe Functions Not Working Properly iPad 10.5

I have a new (to me) iPad Pro 10.5 to replace one that stopped working well. (In other words, fairly fresh install, I did not install from iCloud backup). The swipe functions on the new tablet aren’t working the same as on my old one. Both are running iPasOS 15.2. Specifically:

• Swipe down from top right corner doesn’t bring up Control Center
  • Swipe down from top brings up Search; on my old iPad it brought up Lock Screen with Notification Center
  • Swipe down from top doesn’t work at all while using Safari

I’ve tried force restart and changing “Allow Access Within Apps” setting in Settings/General/Control Center. Thoughts?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 11:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 10:00 AM

Hi there IronPilot96,

We understand you're experiencing an issue with swiping gestures not working as expected on your iPad Pro.

In regard to the Search appearing, this may be due to not swiping down from the very top of the screen.

Learn more here: Learn advanced gestures to interact with iPad

For the Control Center, what happens when you swipe from the top-right corner?

Do you have a case or screen protector on your iPad Pro?

If so, remove it, and see if the gestures issues persist.

Cheers!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2022 10:00 AM in response to IronPilot96

Hi there IronPilot96,

We understand you're experiencing an issue with swiping gestures not working as expected on your iPad Pro.

In regard to the Search appearing, this may be due to not swiping down from the very top of the screen.

Learn more here: Learn advanced gestures to interact with iPad

For the Control Center, what happens when you swipe from the top-right corner?

Do you have a case or screen protector on your iPad Pro?

If so, remove it, and see if the gestures issues persist.

Cheers!

Jan 20, 2022 7:20 AM in response to IronPilot96

As described - and given that the Control Centre is not accessible - a forced-restart may be beneficial. The restart will often clear/resolve this and many other issues:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Jan 20, 2022 7:05 AM in response to IronPilot96

IronPilot96,

Thanks for sharing those additional details.

Since the gestures work as expected in portrait orientation but not landscape, check if the screen orientation is locked: Change or lock the screen orientation on iPad

If the issue persists with the top-right corner being unresponsive, give the steps here a try: If the screen isn't working on your iPhone or iPad

Specifically, the step below may help:

"If part of your screen doesn't respond, responds intermittently, or responds even when it's not touched, contact Apple Support for your iPhone or iPad."

Regards.

Jan 19, 2022 10:27 AM in response to Erica_S1

No, this is a replacement for the exact same model I’ve been using for a few years, with the same case. I know how to correctly use swipe gestures. On my old 10.5, I could open Control Center from top right and Notifications from top. On my new one, I can’t. I recently discovered and additional piece of information…if the tablet is in Portrait mode, the Gestures work correctly. In landscape mode, they do not.

Swipe Functions Not Working Properly iPad 10.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.