You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

should I buy an M1 iMac?

Sorry if I did not select the correct group but this is a before-the-sale question and has nothing to do with any of my current Apple machines.

I am giving some serious thought about moth-balling my very old Early 2009 24" iMac and buying an Apple-refurbished M1 21.5" iMac. The Apple-refirbushed machines that I am looking at have been given the OK by some of the sharpest tools in the shed at Apple and I have never gone wrong buying from Apple.

I have read everything that I can find about this M1 architecture but get more confused the more I read. I am basically concerned with the compatibility of the software that I have and if they (software) will seamlessly work with this M1 architecture. In the past, I have encountered, after an OS X upgrade, some incompatible programs as detailed by the newly-installed OS X. Should I be concerned?

Any suggestions?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 3:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 4:37 AM

Alan Blair wrote:

Sorry if I did not select the correct group but this is a before-the-sale question and has nothing to do with any of my current Apple machines.

I am giving some serious thought about moth-balling my very old Early 2009 24" iMac and buying an Apple-refurbished M1 21.5" iMac. The Apple-refirbushed machines that I am looking at have been given the OK by some of the sharpest tools in the shed at Apple and I have never gone wrong buying from Apple.
I have read everything that I can find about this M1 architecture but get more confused the more I read. I am basically concerned with the compatibility of the software that I have and if they (software) will seamlessly work with this M1 architecture. In the past, I have encountered, after an OS X upgrade, some incompatible programs as detailed by the newly-installed OS X. Should I be concerned?
Any suggestions?

Migration from Older version of macOS to a Virginal and Pristine Installation of Monterey can badly pollute the New Computer.

This can also bring over whatever issues / problems existed on the Older Version of macOS to the new Apple Computer.

Add to this, migrating from Intel Based Apple Computer to Apple Silicon M1 Computer should be reason enough to be very cautious.

Applications that work in older versions of macOS do not automatically translate as functioning on Monterey and especially on the Apple Silicon computer.

IMHO - it is better to install the Applications Directly from the Developersof the Applications - predicated on the user verifying the Applications as M1 Apple Silicon and Monterey compatible.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2022 4:37 AM in response to Alan Blair

Alan Blair wrote:

Any suggestions?

Migration from Older version of macOS to a Virginal and Pristine Installation of Monterey can badly pollute the New Computer.

This can also bring over whatever issues / problems existed on the Older Version of macOS to the new Apple Computer.

Add to this, migrating from Intel Based Apple Computer to Apple Silicon M1 Computer should be reason enough to be very cautious.

Applications that work in older versions of macOS do not automatically translate as functioning on Monterey and especially on the Apple Silicon computer.

IMHO - it is better to install the Applications Directly from the Developersof the Applications - predicated on the user verifying the Applications as M1 Apple Silicon and Monterey compatible.

Jan 19, 2022 6:30 AM in response to Alan Blair

Welcome and Thank you too.

Do come back to the ASC Forums, in the future, if / or when additional question may arise

To add additional information - is is reasonable to believe Apple will at some time bring out a Larger iMac or something along those lines at sometime in the future. Just when ? Only apple knowns that timeline

If one what to check for anything less than 64 Bit Applications - Go64 is a good start

Jan 19, 2022 4:03 AM in response to Alan Blair

Monterey on the M1 Macs run fine for most but remember that all your old 32bit apps will no longer function so you may need to find 64bit replacements from the supplier or replace by another supplier. I have two M1 Macs and one iMac Intel all running Monterey and no major issues. You will also find that your new Mac runs much faster than your current model.

Jan 19, 2022 5:09 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for that. I had not anticipated using the Migration app just for the reasons that you stated. As well, I do not have any 32bit apps. Of that I am certain (I just checked - all 64bit).

I have noticed one thing, though: the machines on Apple's refurbished site change constantly so what is there now may not be there in a few minutes...early bird and all that.

Not only would I be comparing performance (M1 to 2009 iMac) but the M1 to my large desktop (Late 2015 27" 3.2GHz Quad-Core i5 iMac). As for the M1's 21.5" size, screen real estate is not a factor.

should I buy an M1 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.