You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to back up my photos in their current folders and albums onto an external hard drive. Does anyone know the best way?

I want to back up my photos in their current folders and albums onto an external hard drive. Does anyone know the best way?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 11:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 2:17 PM

Hi

In my opinion the best way to back up data from your mac is time machine.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine – Apple Support (UK)

Alternatively you can move or copy the whole library to a properly prepared external drive:

See

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Pay particular attention to the format of the drive, setting the ignore ownership flag, and making sure it is a locally connected drive (no Ethernet, no Wi-Fi)

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 28, 2022 2:17 PM in response to cabfiber

Hi

In my opinion the best way to back up data from your mac is time machine.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine – Apple Support (UK)

Alternatively you can move or copy the whole library to a properly prepared external drive:

See

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Pay particular attention to the format of the drive, setting the ignore ownership flag, and making sure it is a locally connected drive (no Ethernet, no Wi-Fi)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.