You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external CD/DVD drive won't work

Have external apple CD/DVD drive; won't connect thru USB-C adapter to MacBook pro (new M1 chip) or Mac Mini upgraded to Monterey OS. Anyone else have this issue? notification banner says to plug into USB port on machine; and am doing that thru the USB-A to USB-c multi adaptor but CD player won't work/start up.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 1:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 3:41 PM

Apple external CD drive. Have used it connected to Mac Mini thru a multiport adapter. external drive is USB. adapter connected as USB-C. upgraded OS on my Macs to Monterey. now get the notification to connect thru a powered USB port. I can plug into the Mac mini thru a USB A port and that worked. 2 different adapters don't work now. Bought a new Mac Book Pro 16in M1 chip. got the same pop up message. doesn't have a USB A port, just USB-C's. the change happened after Monterey; that's why I'm wondering if it is that.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 29, 2022 3:41 PM in response to lllaass

Apple external CD drive. Have used it connected to Mac Mini thru a multiport adapter. external drive is USB. adapter connected as USB-C. upgraded OS on my Macs to Monterey. now get the notification to connect thru a powered USB port. I can plug into the Mac mini thru a USB A port and that worked. 2 different adapters don't work now. Bought a new Mac Book Pro 16in M1 chip. got the same pop up message. doesn't have a USB A port, just USB-C's. the change happened after Monterey; that's why I'm wondering if it is that.

Jan 30, 2022 2:14 AM in response to jrmmac

1. Some hubs do not work with Monterey. Thus if the multiport adapter is a hub the hub may be the problem.
  2. The USB ports (including Thunderbolt) do not provide enough power for some drives for some computers and if this is thr case a powered hub that works with Monterey may work.
  3. I have not heard only problems with a USB-C male to USB-A female adapter, that is they always work.

4. There was at least another discussion on this same subject If I recall it all depends on the Mac whether it will works when directly connected with simple adapter. Some need a powered hub and that hub has to work w/Monterey.

Jan 29, 2022 2:52 PM in response to jrmmac

What specific drive?

If you go to About This Mac>Overview>System Report>Hardware>USB does the drive appear?

Is the drive powered by the bus or by separate power supply?

Does it work on another computer?

You said you are connecting via USB-A to USB-c multi adaptor. Is this a hub? Monterey has problems with some hubs not working.

external CD/DVD drive won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.