You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung 31.5" LED U32J590 4k Monitor not displaying 3820 x 2160 @ 60Hz... getting only 30Hz

I just recently purchased an Apple Mac Mini M1(2020) and connected it to a Samsung 31.5" 4k LED Monitor Model U32J590.

I used the HDMI cable that came with the monitor. Connected Apple Mac Mini HDMI port to Monitor HDMI Port 1. About this MAC - Displays --> shows 31.5-inch 3840 x 2160. Under System Preferences - Displays - Refresh Rate --> shows maximum 30 Hertz. Besides not gettin 60 Hertz, the monitor would flicker once every 10 seconds or so.

It turns out monitor's HDMI port 1 is capable of only 30 Hertz. I connected the Apple Mac Mini HDMI port to Monitor HDMI Port 2 and the Refresh Rate is at 60 Hertz and the flicker issue is no longer present.

I hope this will help someone with this issue. It took me a few hours to figure this out. I am not sure why HDMI Port 1 would only support 30 Hertz and HDMI Port 2 can support 60 Hertz. If anyone knows why, feel to to let me know.

Cheers!

SuperONEONE

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 6:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 8:15 AM

Thanks for sharing that tip.

If you have other issues, replace the LG HDMI cable with a Premium Certified HDMI cable and/or use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable if the LG also supports DisplayPort input.

Similar questions

1 reply

Samsung 31.5" LED U32J590 4k Monitor not displaying 3820 x 2160 @ 60Hz... getting only 30Hz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.