You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP Preview looks different than rendered file....?

Hello,

I am trying to render 8K HDR Rec.2020 PQ files to upload to YouTube. I am shooting with a Canon R5, in 8K 10 Bit(All-I), in Clog3. Editing on a 2021 MacBook Pro 16", and able to view results on a 2nd 4K HDR monitor. I have set my Final cut project settings to Wide Gamut, and Rec.2020 PQ. Also, changed the clips settings to Rec.2020 PQ. I have experimented with HDR tools, Clog LUTS, and am still running into one BIG PROBLEM. My rendered files look different than they do in the preview in Final Cut Pro! The luminance values are different(washed out blacks, dingy midtowns, dim highlights) on the final rendered result than in the viewer in Final cut, where I make my color grading adjustments. This is true when viewing in Quicktime, or after uploading and viewing on Youtube. Can anyone help me figure out what I am doing wrong?? Stuck for days.... Thanks!

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 11:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 8:00 AM

After being super confused and ended up using a high end HDR TV to preview footage properly ( looks the same as render ) I tried some last resort things and found a unsatisfactory solution, but still a solution. In the OSX settings under Display, change the preset from XDR display to HDR Video ( as shown in the screenshot ) Its unsatisfactory because the screen gets super dim so you will need to edit in a dark room but its the best results I have seen so far.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 24, 2022 8:00 AM in response to Sproesser1

After being super confused and ended up using a high end HDR TV to preview footage properly ( looks the same as render ) I tried some last resort things and found a unsatisfactory solution, but still a solution. In the OSX settings under Display, change the preset from XDR display to HDR Video ( as shown in the screenshot ) Its unsatisfactory because the screen gets super dim so you will need to edit in a dark room but its the best results I have seen so far.

FCP Preview looks different than rendered file....?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.