You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove Download option is missing from Music

I am trying to free up some space on MacBook Pro, running Big Sur 11.6

When I select songs in Music, and right click, "Remove Download" is not an option. I am only given the option to "Delete from Library" which I do not want.

How do I take the songs off my mac, please?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 6:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 6:29 AM

Are you sure these are songs that are downloaded to your Mac? If they aren't, the option to Remove Download won't show up. You can try restarting your Mac if the songs are downloaded and relaunching Music.

Also check out this link: Delete music, movies, and TV shows from your device - Apple Support

7 replies

Feb 26, 2022 12:47 PM in response to foxden123

This is happening on my iPhone, too. I have countless songs on my iPhone and I’m able to to have them in the cloud. I was able to remove the download but keep in cloud on my iPhone.

HOWEVER, I have 29 songs that only give me the option to delete from library which means when I click on that it will take off the iPhone altogether and put in hiding mode.

I thought it was because these were older purchases from before when they were iTunes. But it is happening on quite a few newer purchases as well.

so I understand what you are going through

Feb 17, 2022 9:20 AM in response to foxden123

Do you have a subscription to either Apple Music or iTunes Match? The remove download option only applies if you do, and hopefully only once a track has been correctly matched or uploaded. I would advice backing up the entire library to an external drive before you start using either service just in case you later delete something in error, or discover that a matched version isn't quite what you want, e.g. clean vs. explicit.

tt2

Remove Download option is missing from Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.