You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey randomly freezes and resets

I am experiencing random freezing on my MacBook Pro.

Several times a week macOS freezes up where I am able to move the mouse, but unable to click or interact with anything. Then, after a minute or more, the screen goes blank, then reverts to the macOS sign-in screen. After I enter my credentials, macOS signs in and all of my apps relaunch.

There doesn't appear to be any one action that triggers it. And, it is very random to the point where I don't see any patterns. I have so many apps open at all times, to the point where I haven't been able to pin the issue down to any one app.

How can I see what, specifically, triggered the crash?

Specs:

• 13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • 2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
  • Memory: 16GB
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 1:48 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Feb 24, 2022 3:10 PM in response to TimothyDilbert

This is exactly the same issue I am facing on my 2018 Macbook pro 15in running Monterey 12.2.1. I have tried the following so far and the issue still persists

• Reset NVRAM
  • Checked for any Malware (None detected)
  • Reset SMC
  • Run Apple Diagnostics that resulted in error code ADP000 which apparently indicates a software issue, i.e., no hardware issue detected.
  • Factory Reset MacOS from recovery. The Macbook crashed about 6 times during the setup process after formatting. unbelievable!

After managing to successfully reset the Macbook after multiple attempts, the same issue persists. No new apps were even installed which leads me to believe this is a problem with the latest MacOS update.

Specs:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

2.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Any other ideas?

Feb 25, 2022 12:57 PM in response to puppet7

Try starting up in safe mode.https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-boot-your-mac-in-safe-mode/ You have software called Vikasa installed. When looking it up. It was showing that you need a M1 mac to run it. You have a MacBook Pro with the T2 chip.Not the same. This could be your problem. Look in system preferences Users & Groups- Login items If Vikasa is in there click on it and then the Minus. That does not remove it, only the login. If you have a version of Vikasa that does not require an Apple silicon Mac .let me know. Because that is what is showing up.

Feb 25, 2022 1:13 PM in response to my ginger

Can you clarify what I need to do in safe mode? There are no apps in my Login Items - I removed the only app on there (OneDrive) to eliminate that variable. In Library>LaunchAgents and Library>LaunchDaemons folder I see nothing apart from Office and OneDrive too.

My actual name is Vikas and I think that is what you're seeing. There is no app on my system named Vikasa. When I copy paste the Etrecheck report it replaces "Vikas's Macbook Pro..." to "Vikasâ s MacBook Pro...." which must have thrown you off. My apologies for not catching that earlier.

Feb 25, 2022 2:42 PM in response to puppet7

There are two ways to start in safe mode, depending on your startup options. Most intel Mac's would startup with the shift key down until you see the Apple logo. Takes awhile. You would need to login and if you have FileVault on you would need to login with that password as well. Which an M1 Mac you hold the power button down till you see boot option. Then pick the startup drive and hold the shift key down. Using this clears cache files and some log files. You can check if you are still having the same problem. When you deleted OneDrive you left some of it behind. Here is something on that.https://www.imymac.com/powermymac/uninstall-onedrive-on-mac.html#part3 Do you use an external monitor? If so, what kind? You panic report lists AMD graphics. You may have a problem with the video driver. You could try doing a reinstall from your recovery volume. It will not delete and of you files as in only reinstalls the operating system.

Feb 25, 2022 3:12 PM in response to my ginger

I will try the safe mode and report back.

I had this issue even before installing OneDrive or any other apps for that matter. As I had mentioned before, the Macbook froze 6-7 times right after installing from recovery during the initial setup (while selecting region, network etc). However, I will try the instructions in the link. The laptop freezing issue happens randomly and never at startup; I can't replicate the issue at will.

I do not use external displays.

I did a clean install (including formatting my drive) just last week and the problem persists. The Macbook froze without a single additional app being installed.. Isn't it unlikely that reinstalling again will do much to find the root cause?

macOS Monterey randomly freezes and resets

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.