You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Pro MacBook locks up while using Anker 577 Thunderbolt dock

Hi everyone,

I have been using the Anker 577 dock with windows/linux laptops with thunderbolt 3 for a while now without issues. Recently my company bought me the new MacBook Pro with M1 Pro.

Since the switch, I have been having issues with the dock locking up, and making my peripherals unusable. The devices are still listed on my system information page so they are not disconnecting, and just no longer communicating properly with my MacBook.

I have multiple devices connected, including 1 HDMI monitor, and various USB peripherals.

My Macbook software is up to date (Monterey 12.2.1), and according to the driver section of Anker's product page, the drivers should be updated automatically.

Has anyone had similar issues with their thunderbolt docks, and were you able to prevent their device from locking up?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 7:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 8:03 AM

Some other users have had problem with hubs/docks not worki w/Monterey.

You can try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things that may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

A lot of times just boot to Safe Mode followed by normal boot resolves problems.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 23, 2022 8:03 AM in response to jdowning27

Some other users have had problem with hubs/docks not worki w/Monterey.

You can try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things that may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

A lot of times just boot to Safe Mode followed by normal boot resolves problems.

Mar 22, 2022 4:01 PM in response to jdowning27

Yes I am experiencing the same issue with Anker 577 Thunderbolt Docking Station, serving a bunch of USB peripherals to my MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021) running the latest Monterey 12.2.1. Same thing happens for me, at random times all the peripherals stop working but continue to be listed, just as described by jdowning27. I've emailed Anker support, nothing from them yet.

Adding my post here in the hope that someone has a fix, its very disruptive, when I lose webcam and mic during a Zoom call. I restart then everything works again.

Mar 29, 2022 1:41 PM in response to jdowning27

I have this same exact issue. I get around it by plugging my USB devices into a second port on my Mac, and only use the Anker 577 for displays. Who wants to do that though.

I actually reached out to Anker support on this, they advised me that the 577 is actually listed as not compatible with M1 Macs (including M1 Pro/Max.) It does actually say this on their product page.

Compatibility Information: Works with Windows laptops or non-M1 MacBooks equipped with a Thunderbolt 3 or 4 port. Not compatible with M1 MacBooks or Linux or Chrome OS laptops.

I asked if there was anything Anker was doing for consumers that ended up with this problem after upgrading to M1 Macs, they unfortunately stated there was nothing they could do.

I will probably be taking a look at the CalDigit TS4 dock once they're back in stock. They mention compatibility with M1, M1 Pro, and M1 Max Macs. Seems like a good option, with an upgraded 2.5Gb ethernet port.

M1 Pro MacBook locks up while using Anker 577 Thunderbolt dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.