You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are Thunderbolt Docks a bad idea?

I have a new 16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Pro Max. I've purchased a Thunderbolt 4 dock which is connected to a bevy of accessories: power, display, ethernet, Time Machine drive, webcam, USB mic, headphones, etc. I was drawn by the seductive dream of connecting all those devices with just one single cable connected to a single port on the MBP. However, I'm concerned that there may be some performance degradation by sending all that hardware thru a single pipe, even one as fast as Thunderbolt 4. For instance, the webcam appears to be freezing intermittently. Is this a bandwidth problem, or something related to the dock/cable?

Can the Thunderbolt spec accommodate such high traffic? Or would I be better off sticking with using all of the MBP's native Thunderbolt ports to spread the load?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 4:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 6:57 PM

Adam J. Bezark wrote:

I have a new 16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Pro Max. I've purchased a Thunderbolt 4 dock which is connected to a bevy of accessories: power, display, ethernet, Time Machine drive, webcam, USB mic, headphones, etc. I was drawn by the seductive dream of connecting all those devices with just one single cable connected to a single port on the MBP. However, I'm concerned that there may be some performance degradation by sending all that hardware thru a single pipe, even one as fast as Thunderbolt 4.

For instance, the webcam appears to be freezing intermittently. Is this a bandwidth problem, or something related to the dock/cable?

Why not try your webcam plugged directly in and report back your success or failure...

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 11, 2022 6:57 PM in response to Adam J. Bezark

Adam J. Bezark wrote:

I have a new 16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Pro Max. I've purchased a Thunderbolt 4 dock which is connected to a bevy of accessories: power, display, ethernet, Time Machine drive, webcam, USB mic, headphones, etc. I was drawn by the seductive dream of connecting all those devices with just one single cable connected to a single port on the MBP. However, I'm concerned that there may be some performance degradation by sending all that hardware thru a single pipe, even one as fast as Thunderbolt 4.

For instance, the webcam appears to be freezing intermittently. Is this a bandwidth problem, or something related to the dock/cable?

Why not try your webcam plugged directly in and report back your success or failure...

Feb 11, 2022 10:23 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for the suggestion. It works fine in the old setup: the camera, which has 4K HDMI output, was plugged into an Elgato CamLink, which goes into one of the USB-A ports on a Satechi USB-C hub connected to the MBP's left two Thunderbolt ports. This results in a clean video image with no dropped frames. When the same camera/CamLink combo is plugged into the new OWC powered dock, the image freezes and unfreezes every 15-30 seconds. So I reckon it's one of two problems:

1. Too much data load for one Thunderbolt port (the one on the right), or -
    2. Incompatibility issues between the camera, CamLink and the OWC dock.

If anyone can think of other tests or solutions, I'd love to hear them...

Are Thunderbolt Docks a bad idea?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.